Northmont City Schools’ heritage of excellence has been recognized with an EXCELLENT rating for over ten years in a row on the Ohio Department of Education Report Card. The Northmont City School District was formed over 50 years ago with the consolidation of Phillipsburg, Randolph, and Clayton districts in 1957. Northmont City Schools is the essential element that blends the municipalities of Clayton, Englewood, Union, Phillipsburg and a portion of Clay Township together into a community that supports quality education. The district encompasses 44 square miles of the northwest part of Montgomery County and small portions of Darke and Miami Counties. It is adjacent to and north of the city of Dayton.
At present the district includes six elementary schools, one middle school and one high school and currently serves approximately 5,600 students with 100% of the teaching staff rated highly qualified by the Ohio Department of Education.
Most of the people residing in the Northmont City School District have earned their livelihood in the industries and businesses of Dayton and Wright Patterson Air Force Base. While farming exists in the area, it is usually performed on a large scale. The socio-economic level of the community, which changed rapidly from largely rural make-up to a preponderance of suburbanites, has been average and above.